JUNE 19 2013 – North By Northeast (NXNE) is here and we are excited! NXNE may not be as well known as SXSW in Austin Texas but for us rock lovers in Toronto this festival satiates our musical hunger. We love discovering bands and take the opportunity of NXNE to find out more about some of them.Bella Clava – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Black Owls – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight The Blue Stones – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight The Boxing Lesson – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Conveyor – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Darlings Of Chelsea – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Dearly Beloved – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight The Death Set – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Derrick N. Ashong & Soulfege – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Fast Romantics – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Filligar – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight The Honeyrunners – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Little Foot Long Foot – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Rise For Order – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Secret Broadcast – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight Vorasek – NXNE 2012 Emerging Artist Spotlight
Our wrap up article from 2012 is here and we are excited to be back in 2013 and to interview more bands to our Emerging Artist Spotlight Series. Today we focus on a band from Wrexham, North Wales and their NXNE profile reads:
Here is what they had to say to us:
- Hey The Roseville Band, thanks for taking the time out to talk to us. Let’s start off with the obligatory introductions. Who’s in the band and what instrument does everyone rock?
The Roseville Band: Andy sings and plays guitar. Neal on Bass guitar, Steve on guitar, and James on drums.
- How about the history of the band, when did you get started and how did it happen?
The Roseville Band: We’re all from different areas of North Wales. Steve and I (Andy) are brothers, and we had gotten to know Neal and James as teenagers. The first opportunity we had to make a record together was in 2006, and we’ve been making music and playing shows since then.
- Who are some of your musical influences?
The Rosevile Band: We love lots of music, but bands like Echo & The Bunnymen and The Clash have had a big influence.
- Congratulations on being selected to play at North By Northeast, what does the opportunity mean to you?
The Roseville Band: It’s great. It means that we can introduce our music to the new music scene in Toronto, which makes for a great way to launch the release of our new album.
- When and where is your NXNE gig? And more importantly, why do you suggest a music fan come and see your show instead of all the other choices available to them at that time?
The Roseville Band: We play Sidedoor on Friday 11PM, the Rancho Relaxo at 2AM on the Friday night. Then we have a big show at The Dakota Tavern at 10pm on Saturday.
- What’s it like being on stage? Do you get nervous or are you thriving on the adrenaline (or somewhere in between)?
The Roseville Band: There’s a focus ahead of shows, but we’re like 500 shows in at this point, so we don’t really get nervous; it’s more a case of getting excited.
- What does 2013 hold for you?
The Roseville Band: We’re releasing our new album ‘Temper’ on 25th June, and then we’ll be doing a bunch of festivals in Europe. We just want to play as many shows as possible, and get our music to new places around the world.
- Imagine that you were asked to be the opener for any band’s world tour (both current and historical). Which past band’s tour and which current tour would be your dream opening gigs?
The Roseville Band: It would be great to tour with a band like the White Stripes. That would be a fun tour to do.
- How important is the performer/audience connection for you? Can you rock a show as hard for 10 people as if you could playing an 80,000 person festival?
The Roseville Band:.I think it’s important to respect the audience, and if it’s 100 people or 1000 people, I think you should still be playing the shows as if it’s the most important show you’ll ever do.
- Where can people get your music/CD, is it being sold anywhere?
The Roseville Band: the easiest way to get our music is probably through our website www.therosevilleband.com
- At the end of 2012 we published our picks for top 10 albums of 2012. Lists like those are always a reflection of personal tastes so if you were making the list what are some albums you would you have had on it?
The Roseville Band:
Ocean Rain by Echo & The Bunnymen
Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd
Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin
- Any closing remarks for our readers?
The Roseville Band: Diolch yn fawr! (and that’s thank you very much in Welsh!)
Thanks so much to The Roseville Band. We hope that you can see them live. They are playing at NXNE,
|Jun 16 (2PM)||NXNE 2013 – Of A Kind – Presented by Audio Blood||Toronto, Canada|
|Jun 17||The Toucan||Kingston, Canada|
|Jun 18||Avant-Garde Bar||Ottawa, Canada|
|Jun 21||M-Montreal||Montreal, Canada|
|Jun 27||Club Radio Free Europe at The Miller||London, England|
|Jun 29||Youbloom Dublin 2013||Dublin, Ireland|