June 11 2013 – North By Northeast (NXNE) is here and we are excited! NXNE may not be as well known as SXSW in Austin Texas but for us rock lovers in Toronto this festival satiates our musical hunger. We love discovering bands and take the opportunity of NXNE to find out more about some of them.
Our wrap up article from 2012 is here and we are excited to be back in 2013 and to interview more bands to our Emerging Artist Spotlight Series. Today we focus on a band from Toronto,Canada and their NXNE profile reads:
Pulsating, modern rock from a Toronto four-piece carrying heavy guitars and emotional ballads.
Here is what they had to say to us:
- Hey Die By Remote, thanks for taking the time out to talk to us. Let’s start off with the obligatory introductions. Who’s in the band and what instrument does everyone rock?
DBR: Jason Hoddinott – Guitar, Shane Deller-drums, Brian Pauls- Bass/Piano, Chris Dawe – Singer
- How about the history of the band, when did you get started and how did it happen?
DBR: I(chris) formed the band about 3 years ago, I started off with about 6 songs of my own that I had work on with a producer. Then I went out and recruited the rest of the band via internet. Well, Jason was a friend from high school. Shane was referred by a friend. Brian joined the band about a year ago. We brought him on through being a friend of Jason.
- Who are some of your musical influences?
DBR: Alice In Chains, 30 Seconds To Mars, Muse, NIN…..
- Congratulations on being selected to play at North By Northeast, what does the opportunity mean to you?
DBR: Thanks!! We’re supper stoked to be chosen this year!! For us as a band, this is our first year getting selected, so its kind of a milestone for us. Its great expose in one of the biggest music festivals in Canada. Everyone who loves live music will be out to see new bands, This will be a great opportunity to win over some new fans!
- When and where is your NXNE gig? And more importantly, why do you suggest a music fan come and see your show instead of all the other choices available to them at that time?
DBR: 9 pm Wednesday night June 12th at Cherry Cola’s Rock N’ Rolla Cabaret Lounge on Bathurst.
There are a lot of other great bands in Toronto but I’d have to say it’s the energy we bring to the show that will really impress a new fan. The energy and that we’re having fun, and it sincerely shows on stage…when someone sees that you really love what you do. That’s what gets you authentic fans! No one wants to see a show where you’re not sure if the artist is really into it.
- What’s it like being on stage? Do you get nervous or are you thriving on the adrenaline (or somewhere in between)?
DBR:There are always going to be nerves before a show. It’s your passion! If you aren’t nervous at all, you probably don’t care enough! That being said once you hit the stage the nerves leave you and the adrenaline takes over and you get in the zone! So I guess your body turns those nerves into the adrenaline for energy on stage!
- What does 2013 hold for you?
DBR: We are in the process of finishing up our new 6 song EP. This will be our first full professionally recorded EP. We’re super excited to be shooting a video for the single we will be releasing! Though we have no hard dates yet on the release, we can say it’ll be in the next couple of months.
- Imagine that you were asked to be the opener for any band’s world tour (both current and historical). Which past band’s tour and which current tour would be your dream opening gigs?
DBR: Past would be Touring with Alice in Chains( with layne staley) future would have to be 30 seconds to mars!
- How important is the performer/audience connection for you? Can you rock a show as hard for 10 people as if you could playing an 80,000 person festival?
DBR: I think its important! Its definitely more motivating to have 80,000 screaming fans over 10. Thats just something you can’t emulate! But would those ten people leave feeling like they got a amazing show! Yes! Its our state of mind we go into every show with! To give the best show we can…no matter how many people! You never who’s in the crowd right?
- Where can people get your music/CD, is it being sold anywhere?
DBR: Our CD is not quite ready yet, but our older stuff is available for download on iTunes and our website!
- Any closing remarks for our readers?
DBR: We’re super pumped to be playing this year’s NxNE we can’t wait to meet each and every one of you!
Thanks so much to Die By Remote. We hope that you can see them live. They are playing Cherry Cola’s Rock n’ Rolla Cabaret & Lounge @ 9pm Wed. June 12th.
The band’s website is http://www.diebyremote.com and as you would expect they are on http://twitter.com/diebyremote and http://facebook.com/diebyremote. In the meantime check out their video below from YouTube.