November 28 2012 – Very few things are as exciting as finding something new you love. Much like archeologists that dig to find hidden treasures, we here at T-Mak World really enjoy trying to find new bands that we love. Once we find such bands, we approach our favourites to request interviews for our Emerging Artist Spotlight series. We rarely venture out of our comfort zone of Rock, but today we set our focus on a band from Toronto via London England named ELEPHANT 12. All bands we talked to are asked similar questions to each other so we can get to know them better. Here is what they had to say to us:
1. Hey ELEPHANT 12, thanks for taking the time out to talk to us. Let’s start off with the obligatory introductions. Who’s in the band and what instrument does everyone rock?
Elephant 12: Robbie rock on the guitar and few bits and bobs, Jerome aka Thelonious Vocals and Miles Programming
2. How about the history of the band, when did you get started and how did it happen?
Elephant 12: We got started end of summer 2009 first gig Jan 2010… Our meeting happened by chance and good timing i guess, we sort of knew each other by sight and we all met randomly on the bus 55, had a brief chat and the week after we had a jam back at Robbie’s flat and we clicked, how romantic :)
3. Who are some of your musical influences?
ELEPHANT 12: Mainly classic 70’s Rock but i also like stuff like electronic music ( Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode) old school Hip Hop (Public Enemy, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, The Roots) more…. I don’t really have boundaries when it comes to good music, my record collection is massive. I compare it to food, every day I fancy a different dish
4. So based on the above how would you describe your music to someone that has never heard it?
ELEPHANT 12: Great!! Feet Tapping..(Laugh) a perfect marriage between Electro/Hip Hop and Rock all very well amalgamated majestically..
5. Why should a music fan come and see your show instead of all the other choices available to them on any given night?
ELEPHANT 12: I go to see gigs almost every night of the week and I easily get bored after 3 or 5 songs, I’ve noticed that so many bands put on a barrier between them and the crowd loosing human contact, and to me the whole point of being on stage and being an artist is to celebrate, I guess that’s where the meaning of the ward celebrity comes from.. E 12 shows are a sharing experiences, we interact with crowd, make them part of the show and invite them on stage for a dance.
6. I totally agree on your observation on artist/audience interaction. Anyways, what is your favorite single line of lyrics the band has written and why?
ELEPHANT12: There’s a line from a song called Tellievision which we actually don’t perform live anymore but the line goes like this “I ain’t Billy Ocean but I‘ll make you drown” when I heard that line for the 1st time it remind me when I met Billy Ocean in a canteen of a rehearsal studio and he gave me the bless Rastafarian style.
7. Ha! Very cool indeed. What does the rest of 2012 and 2013 hold for you?
ELEPHANT 12: Tryna get out to the people and share the Elephant 12 experience with them. Staying Positive, focus and looking forward to releasing new EP.
8. Imagine that you were asked to be the opener for any band’s world tour (both current and historical). Which band and tour would be your dream opening gig.
ELEPHANT 12: It’s a long list, see what comes in my mind, Death from Above 1979, N.E.R.D. Cee Lo Green, Dizzie Rascal, Pink, Mia, Prodigy, Gwen Stefani, BAD BRAINS, Living Color, Biffy Clyro, Motorhead, Public Enemy and Cypress Hill because someone gotta bring tha weed..haha the list is long
9. What is the future of the music industry? With the concept of the album and physical CD’s facing extinction, how will we be consuming music in 10 years? Are the economics feasible for emerging artists?
ELEPHANT 12: To be honest with you technologically speaking I don’t know what’s next? Bands have been doing their economics now with the DIY approach the industry will only step in when they smell money. I would like to think we’ll start listen to vynls..maybe a chip attach to your ears that you program your favorite songs….God I DON’T KNOW what the hell people will think of.. just gimme a record player I’m old school..
10. Where can people get your music/CD, is it being sold anywhere?
ELEPHANT 12: We had a physical release on Rough Trade for a couple of months and a few independent record shops in London but mainly it’s available for free www.elephant12.com and Soundcloud for demo track www.soundcloud.com/elephant12
11. At the end of 2011 we did our picks for top 10 albums of 2011. What album do you think we should include in our top 10 albums of 2012 article?
BANDNAME: Defo Jack White (Blunderbuss) Band of Skulls ( Sweet Sour) Bat for Lashes ( The Haunted Man) Tame Impala (Lonerism), Kendrick Lamar (Good Kid Mad City), Frank Ocean (Orange), SBTRT, and obviously Maroon 5 (Overexposed) ah ah just kidding about the last one..
12. Sounds like we should let you do a guest column of your top 10 albums of the year! Lol..Any closing remarks for our readers?
ELEPHANT 12: Question everything out there and follow your heart..
Indeed and thanks so much to ELEPHANT 12. We hope that you can see them live. They are playing TORONTO in February 2013 (keep checking back with us for exact dates)
The band’s website is www.elephant12.com and as you would expect they are on Twitter @elephantwelve and Facebook: www.facebook.com/elepahnt12. In the meantime check out their video below from YouTube.
|Get the T-Mak World Toolbar to get all the info you need|