October 8 2012 – Very few things are as exciting as finding something new you love. Much like archeologists that dig to find hidden treasures, we here at T-Mak World really enjoy trying to find new bands that we love. Once we find such bands, we approach our favourites to request interviews for our Emerging Artist Spotlight series. Today we set our focus on a band from Waterloo named Daybreak Gentlemen. All bands we talked to are asked similar questions to each other so we can get to know them better.
Here is what they had to say to us:
1. Hey Daybreak Gentlemen, thanks for taking the time out to talk to us. Let’s start off with the obligatory introductions. Who’s in the band and what instrument does everyone rock?
Daybreak Gentlemen: Zack Niven – Vocals & Bass, Bingo Pajama – Keys, Bass & Vocals, Josh Niven – Guitar, Ryan Fyfe – Guitar, Ryan Salvatore – Drums
2. How about the history of the band, when did you get started and how did it happen?
Daybreak Gentlemen: The group collectively known as Daybreak Gentlemen was born in the back of a dimly lit pub on a terribly cold & stormy winter night. After copious amounts of alcohol and one cigarette too many, Zack Niven & childhood friend Ryan “Atruro Fizerelli” Fyfe decided it was finally time to have a go of it, and after years of trepidation they would form a band! In addition to them the line-up would consist of Josh Niven, Ryan Salvatore, and their estranged friend Bingo Pyjama. Bingo, Josh, & Zack had played together for years but never really had the nerve to get any project off the ground. Meanwhile, the proverbial brothers Ryan, young and rising stars in their own right, had grown eager for the stage despite never played in a group of any kind. After weeks of debate the five young men would join together under the title “Daybreak Gentlemen”, a moniker that would serve their young lust and ambition well. Many a night were spent revelling over a large glass of scotch, a couple of beers, fine young women…and oh yes, making joyous music too!
3. Who are some of your musical influences?
Daybreak Gentlemen: We all draw from many different musical areas for inspiration; too many to mention in one interview! For the most part we have a lot of common ground in our love for The Strokes and Arctic Monkeys but each member brings their own special influences to the group.
4. So based on the above how would you describe your music to someone that has never heard it?
Daybreak Gentlemen: We strive to produce a neon garage sound, which as you can imagine is difficult to quantify, but impossible to resist. Our mission is to bring you nostalgia from events that you never really experienced. To understand our sound, just picture the scenes from all of your favourite movies in the form of enthusiastic, angular indie music. This energetic offering has gained us a growing reputation as an amazing party band.
5. Why should a music fan come and see your show instead of all the other choices available to them on any given night?
Daybreak Gentlemen: That is a fantastic question – to which we have no answer! Honestly there are a million options out there, but if you’re hankering for feelings of nostalgia and want to get a taste of neon garage, then come on out!
6. What is your favorite single line of lyrics the band has written and why?
Daybreak Gentlemen: We have a tie between the following lines:
“Who’s the one having more fun; the doe eyed blonde or the pensive one?” and
“Honey, everyone I know is just dead teenagers.”
We love both of these lines. They really give you something to think about, then again maybe they don’t.
7. What does the rest of 2012 and 2013 hold for you?
Daybreak Gentlemen: For the fall of 2012, we will continue to play shows in both Kitchener & Toronto while developing our live performance. We then have plans to head into the studio in early 2013 to record our first full length album for a spring/summer release and tour!
8. Imagine that you were asked to be the opener for any band’s world tour (both current and historical). Which band and tour would be your dream opening gig.
Daybreak Gentlemen: Our current band of choice would have to be The Strokes, but the historical band to open for would be Fredrick Chopin, because we would steal all of his fans!
9. What is the future of the music industry? With the concept of the album and physical CD’s facing extinction, how will we be consuming music in 10 years? Are the economics feasible for emerging artists?
Daybreak Gentlemen: The internet presents both a blessing and a curse for the indie artist. While it makes what we do highly accessible, it also opens the door to any and every musical offering – both good and bad. With so much to sift through it can be tough to find the right channels to promote our band. There is no question the focus in 10 years will be even more on the “single” instead of the “album”. With such speedy consumption on the net people want to move on to the next thing faster than ever. You either hit the sweet spot or you don’t; there is no in between.
10. Where can people get your music/CD, is it being sold anywhere?
Daybreak Gentlemen: Our latest EP can be purchased in CD format at all of our upcoming live shows. Online it can be found on both iTunes & BandCamp, along with free streaming on our facebook page.
11. At the end of 2011 we did our picks for top 10 albums of 2011. What album do you think we should include in our top 10 albums of 2012 article?
Daybreak Gentlemen: In no particular order we would recommend these albums for consideration:
ElectricHawaii by Opossom
Mature Themes by Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
Endless Flowers by Crocodiles
12. Any closing remarks for our readers?
Daybreak Gentlemen: Our October 27th show at the Horseshoe Tavern will be a night to remember! Check out our EP / facebook page and if you like what you hear then get your ass down to the Shoe!!
Thanks so much to Daybreak Gentlemen. We hope that you can see them live. They are playing
Oct 27th 9pm The Horseshoe Tavern – Toronto
Nov 8th 8pm The El Mocambo – Toronto
|Get the T-Mak World Toolbar to get all the info you need|
The band’s website is http://www.facebook.com/daybreakgentlemen and as you would expect they are on https://twitter.com/DBGband and in the meantime check out their video below